year of call
- 1999, Alberta
- Bachelor of Arts (with distinction), University of Alberta, 1994
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Alberta, 1998
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Petroleum Law Foundation
- Calgary Chamber of Commerce
- Representing both management and employees on all employment issues including employment standards, human rights, employment agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality agreements, independent contractor agreements, workplace investigations, workplace policies and procedures, disciplinary matters and terminations
- Defending and prosecuting claims related to wrongful dismissal, constructive dismissal, and human rights complaints, at all levels of courts and tribunals
- Conducting and successfully resolving workplace investigations related to harassment, workplace safety and fulfilling OHS requirements
- Acting as a strategic advisor to management in mergers and acquisitions in respect of employment related issues and outcomes.
- Representing private company in multi-million dollar action against municipality for wrongful termination of services agreement founded in the law of duty of honest performance and good faith obligations in the context of commercial relationships.
- Representing a major coalbed methane producer in obtaining injunctive relief to remove a protester road block interfering with its large coalbed methane project.
- Representing the Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Calpine CCAA insolvency in North America.
- Defending a major financial institution in a multi-million dollar lawsuit by a partner of one of its borrowers. This case set a clear precedent on commencing frivolous claims against financial institutions.
- Defending a large environmental waste management company against a multi-million dollar breach of confidence and misuse of confidential information claim brought by one of its competitors.
- Representing a significant commercial property syndicate against wrongful claims by various parties seeking interests in the real property portfolio.
- Solara Exploration Ltd. v. Richmount Petroleum, 2008 AB QB 596 – this case was important in terms of developing authority with respect to the necessary steps required of a farmee under a Farmout Agreement in order to earn its working interest.
- Prosecuting a multi-million dollar illegal take-over action commenced by an Alberta oil producer before the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, the Alberta Court of Appeal and the Alberta Securities Commission.
- Prosecuting a claim on behalf of a REIT with respect to significant breaches of a non-competition and non-solicitation covenant brought by an entity which sold its book of business to the REIT.
- Representing a significant oil and gas producer with respect to the “line loss rule” and the application for review and variance of such rule before the Alberta Utilities Commission.
- Prosecuting a multi-million dollar claim on behalf of a significant transportation and oilfield service company related to denial of insurance coverage for a fire loss in northern British Columbia.
- Defending a significant shareholder dispute involving a private engineering firm and former employees, including successfully preventing all attempts by the former employees to achieve an equity position in the company.
- Prosecuting product liability claims against a significant agricultural machinery and implement manufacturer on behalf of a significant farming operation.
- Defending product liability claims brought against a helicopter manufacturer and in relation to a significant and fatal accident.
- Acting for and defending investment advisers for significant financial institutions before all levels of Court in Alberta and before IIROC with respect to allegations made by current and former clients as to misconduct, breaches of the terms of service agreements, and discretionary trading.
- Representing clients in various plans of arrangement both in the public and private sphere.
- Instructor, Chamber Advocacy, Alberta Legal Education Bar Admission Course, 2002-2003
- Judge of 4H public speaking competitions
- Volunteer, Calgary Legal Guidance
- Instructor, Legal Education Society CPLED Chambers Advocacy Course, 2009
awards, recognition & accomplishments
- Awarded Berger Prize in Trial Procedure
- Benchmark Litigation Star
teaching & publications
- Expecting the Unexpected - Planning for crises in the workplace and working toward solutions before the crises occur
- Employment Agreements – How to Protect your Business
- The Employer’s Employment Agreement – Protecting your confidential and proprietary information
- How Termination Notice, Termination Pay and Severance Pay are Determined in Alberta
- Considerations for a Return to the Office or Workplace
- Mandatory COVID Vaccinations in Federally Regulated Workplaces
- Alberta Human Rights Commission Dismisses Discrimination Complaints Related to Masking Requirements
- City of Calgary Bylaw: New Vaccine Passport for Businesses
- New COVID-19 Restrictions Announced in Alberta
- Alberta Court says Cost-Cutting Measures Were Constructive Dismissal of Employee
- B.C. Tribunal dismisses anti-mask discrimination complaints
- Wastech: Good Faith in the Exercise of Contractual Discretionary Powers
- Callow Part Two: the Evolution of Good Faith Doctrines in Canadian law
- The Duty of Honest Performance in Canadian Contract Law
- COVID-19 vaccination: can employers make vaccination mandatory for employees?
- Federal Anti-Harassment Legislation Coming January 1, 2021
- Matthews v. Ocean Nutrition: Supreme Court awards significant damages in employment case
- Passing-off: Protecting the brand, goodwill and reputation of a business