David Sevalrud, ICD.D., K.C.
- Rosemary Berg
year of call
- 1984, Alberta
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Calgary, 1976
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Calgary, 1983
- Directors Education Program, Haskayne School of Business, 2009
- ICD.D (Institute-certified Director), Institute of Corporate Directors, 2009
- Not-for-Profit Directors Program, Haskayne School of Business, 2013
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
- Past Chair, Business Law Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association
- Gas Processing Association of Canada
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation
- Governance Professionals of Canada
- Institute of Corporate Directors
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Petroleum Joint Venture Association
- Petroleum Acquisition and Divestiture Association
- Lawyers Associated Worldwide
- Assisting with restructuring of complex corporate and debt finance issues.
- Advising technology, service corporations and agricultural organizations on corporate structure, shareholder agreements and corporate governance issues.
- Drafting of tailored Drilling Contracts
- Corporate Secretary of Midstream Corporation.
- Acted for purchaser of Spyglass Assets from Receiver.
- Assisted Midstream Management Team with start-up and private equity financing.
- Provided independent advice to the board of directors of Opti in connection with their combined CCAA/CBCA process and sale to CNOOC for $2.2 billion.
- Provided independent legal advice to the board of directors of a public junior oil & gas corporation with respect to material unauthorized transactions by a senior executive.
- Provided independent legal advice to the board of directors of a private junior gas corporation in the context of an imminent receivership.
- Provided independent advice to the board of directors of an intermediate oil sands corporation in connection with a $700 million sale of assets.
- Provided independent legal advice to the board of directors of Planet Organic in the context of a CCAA restructuring.
- Drafting and revising various documents for non-profits including bylaws, articles, role descriptions and terms of reference.
- Advising on a broad range of governance issues for corporations and not-for-profit organizations.
- Acted for an environmental services business in its sale to an environmental engineering corporation.
- Advised a locally based cross border manufacturing business with respect to succession planning issues.
- Acted for both sellers and buyers in the sale or purchase of engineering companies locally and internationally.
- Acted for a private manufacturer of portable oil field accommodation to a private equity fund.
- Acted for a private software services business in its sale to a public software provider.
- Acted for the buyer of $180 million in oil & gas assets, partly as an asset purchase and partly by purchase of shares.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements.
- Acted for financial institutions in connection with financings for the purchase of real estate, conventional oil & gas financing and oil field services businesses.
- Acted for an oil sands corporation in resolving oil sands lease tenure issues with the crown.
- Negotiating farmout agreements and assists with the resolution of operating issues.
- President of Mountain View UCP Constituency Association
- Member of Audit and Finance Committee, Law Society of Alberta
- Former Member of Governance Committee, Law Society of Alberta
- Former Director, Hockey Alberta, Hockey Calgary and McKnight Hockey
- Former President, MS Society of Alberta
- Former Director, MS Society of Canada
teaching & publications
- Legal Risk Management for Directors and Officers of Not-For-Profit Corporations in Alberta (Legal Education Society of Alberta, 2013)
- Real Estate Council of Alberta – Good Governance Practices 2013
- Association of General Counsel of Alberta – Advising Boards in the Context of CCAA or CBCA Restructuring 2013
- Role of General Counsel in Enterprise-wide Risk Management 2012 & 2013 (Canadian Bar Association – Charities Law Subsection)
- Differences for Duties and Liabilities of Directors and Officers in Alberta for Not for Profit Corporations (Legal Education Society of Alberta 2012)
- Federated Press – Establishing Good Corporate Governance Practices 2011
- Canadian Board Diversity Counsel – Get on Board Program, Duties and Liabilities of Directors – Introductory, Intermediate and Advanced Courses over several years.
- Shareholder Agreements - Drafting Considerations (Legal Education Society of Alberta 2007)
- Selected Issues in the Context of the Assignment, Surrender and Termination of the Freehold Oil & Gas Lease (Insight Conference 1998)
- Directors and Officers Conflicts of Interest (Canadian Bar Association – Business Law Subsection 1989)
- Virtual Meetings and Voting Now Permitted for Alberta Organizations
- New Corporations Canada Refund Policy
- Red Tape Reduction Changes to Alberta Legislation and the CORES System
- Indemnities: considerations and trends in Canadian M&A
- Avoiding Board Conflicts in a Combination of Non-Profits or Charities
- Risk Management by Directors in a Combination of Non-Profits or Charities
- Directors' Roles and Duties in a Combination of Non-Profit or Charitable Organizations
- Changes to disclosure requirements for private CBCA corporations