This role is responsible for providing a broad range of administrative and operational support to a busy litigation team.
- Ability to run litigation files independently from inception to trial/mediation or settlement.
- Document/file management processes associated with file organization and administration.
- Prioritize workflow within expected timelines.
- Assist lawyers in preparing all correspondence and legal documentation.
- Responsible for maintaining a diarization system.
- Act as focal point for communications between lawyers and clients.
- Prepare bills, letters for billing, track accounts receivable, follow up with clients regarding accounts receivable and all other non-accounting functions associated with billing.
- Organizing and reviewing client production documents, scanning, coding documents.
- Preparing Affidavits of Records including document review and coding (training will be provided if required).
- Preparing production, including witness and expert briefing binders.
- Importing new data and exporting load files, loading transcripts.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Good understanding of legal concepts and procedures.
- Meticulous attention to detail and refined organizational skills.
- Ability to work with and be part of an effective, busy team demonstrating a willing attitude and a mature, calm approach.
- A proven self-starter who can work with little supervision, prioritizes, and anticipates work needs, and works well under occasional periods of pressure and short timelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact confidently with lawyers and clients.
- Always keeps client and firm information confidential; understands and implements general rules of ethical behavior applicable to lawyers.
Technical Knowledge & Skills and Abilities
- Advanced computer skills i.e., MS Word Suite of products, Document Management Systems.
- Sound knowledge of billing processes in a legal practice using legal accounting software.
- Working knowledge of litigation support software (i.e., Eclipse) and a good understanding of the practical requirements of e-discovery.
Education & Experience
- Legal Assistant diploma from a recognized institution
- Minimum of 5 – 8 years experience working in a professional legal environment