The role of Resource Assistant is varied and responsible for providing a broad range of administrative and operational support to a busy litigation team.
Key Areas of Support
- Draft, review and prepare correspondence, reporting letters and other legal documentation.
- General administrative assistance such as maintaining the lawyer’s calendar, managing email and client records.
- Prepare and maintain legal binders.
- Maintaining an organized documentation and file management system.
- Preparing retainer letters and coordinating with clients on opening files.
- Organizing, labelling, and categorizing records for use in litigation.
- Preparing bills and letters for billing; tracking accounts receivable.
- Communicating with clients regarding accounts receivable and other billing functions.
- Diarization of limitations, follow-up dates, and deadlines.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Exceptional customer service mindset and ability to work with a wide variety of tasks in a professional manner.
- A pro-active self-starter.
- Clear and professional oral communication skills.
- Attentive listening, including asking for clarification when needed.
- Clear and informative written communication, including meticulous attention to detail, and ability to appropriately vary writing style. Excellent spelling and grammar.
- Skilled in prioritizing, anticipating work needs, and navigating occasional periods of pressure.
- A team player with an overall mature, calm approach.
- Respect for client and firm confidentiality, as well as general rules of ethical behaviour applicable to lawyers.
- Familiarity with MS Suite, Esilaw, Worldox, NetDocuments and/or legal document management system, (IPRO/Eclipse).
Education & Experience
- Legal Assistant diploma from a recognized institution
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in a professional legal environment
Note: This position is in-office, Monday to Friday (7-hour day).